Monday, July 22, 2013

I don't even know what to say.


2009: My grandmother tells me over the phone, "Grandpa can't talk right now. You know how he is on the phone, can't hear a thing."

2010: My grandmother says, "Grandpa can't talk. He's tired, and you know how he is on the phone. He can't hear!"

2011: Grandma says, "I'd put Grandpa on the phone, but he wouldn't be able to hear you."

2012: My grandmother goes into a nursing home after Alzheimer's renders her unable to live at home any longer. Soon, she remembers no one in the family, including her husband. He continues to visit her everyday, but she doesn't recognize him.
My Grandpa occasionally complains to my mother that I don't call (I write, and send cards instead). He does not call me. Once. In fact, my grandparents stopped calling me years ago due to their pathological aversion to answering machines (I called them one-two times a month until Grandma went into the nursing home).

2013: I learn that my Grandpa has a girlfriend. They talk on the phone several hours a day.

2 comments:

Pooja Mittal said...

Is it true....!!! Please reply on my blog , im very querious to know..
Would you like to follow each other..!!!
Keep in touch
www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wow! Hard not to take that personally, I'll bet. Maybe Grandpa's girlfriend TALKS REALLY LOUD?