Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Vacation #1


So we're going to a three-day "9/11 Truth" conference in Vancouver this weekend. What's 9/11 Truth? Well, depends who you ask. For some people it's just the call for a fresh, independent investigation into the events of Sept. 11. For others it's an effort to expose government complicity in the attacks. At the extreme end of the spectrum, you have a few who suspect the airplanes were holograms and the buildings were actually destroyed by beams from outer space.


Richard has been part of this for about a year (see Hawkeyi in my blogroll), and he falls more into the "new investigation" category but also has some strong feelings about government complicity. He doesn't name names or anything... he's just certain the attacks weren't solely the work of Middle Eastern terrorists. He believes explosives were placed in the World Trade Center towers prior to 9/11, then detonated sometime after the planes struck. Wacky, I know. I still don't know how I feel about this stuff. Of course I have questions and doubts about the official investigation, but I'm not ready yet to decide if I believe the demolition/conspiracy theories. I would need to see overwhelming, damn-near incontrovertible proof.


Anyway, this conference has a lot of big-name Truth movement speakers and will be interesting regardless. It was actually me who pressed to go to this thing, since I've always wanted to go to something strange like a UFO convention. I figured this was pretty close. Hell, might even be a lot of the same people. ;D


Now, you can go ahead and be judgemental about this if you want, but let's face it: We all hold some rather bizarre beliefs and theories dear. I support Richard in this not because I believe in it, but because I encourage everyone to follow their instincts and ask questions when something seems not-quite-right to them. Humans are curious critters. We should never suppress that essential part of ourselves just for the sake of making others comfortable.
I feel terrible about boarding Sophie. She'll probably hate me forever.
When we get back, we'll have just enough time to pack and prepare for Vacation #2 (Minnesota/Ontario).

5 comments:

Laura said...

Don't forget your tinfoil hats to keep the alien spacerays from rotting your brain :p

It sounds interesting, but I have a feeling that 9/11 is going to turn into some kind of morbid Roswell in the future.

tweetey30 said...

Just something else for them to forget to put in our history books. LOL.. I suppose we didnt get everything that happened in history in our book while in school.. Things are going good here. We have decided to wait till we have more money to go home. I wish we could have met up this time but its ok. Take care have a safe trip both times.

Anonymous said...

I think it was Popular Science that debunked Rosie O' Donnell's belief of those buildings not being able to collapse without explosives. You heat steel to a certain degree, and it will collapse.

Would be interesting to see though.

Now, my belief is just this - if we allowed us to actually defend ourselves on planes, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. At worst, 10 civilians would have bled to death from knife wounds, but all four or five terrorists would have as well.

Security is not our savior, but the cause of the problem to begin with.

La Cremiere said...

Enjoy Vancouver! I've nver been but heard it is one of the coolest cities in the world.

S.M. Elliott said...

Alas, I think 9/11 Truth is already a Roswell. All that's missing is the theme park. Seriously, tho, most Truthers are sincere and serious folks...the crackpots, liars, and lunatics are easy to spot, as always.

Needless to say, Popular Mechanics (and the Commission report, and the NIST report) are dismissed as incomplete by Truthers, and actually they ARE incomplete. Not one of these reports contains information on the collapse of the Salamon Brothers building. NIST's report on it has been delayed twice. I'm not a Truther, since the official story sounds reasonable to me, but I do have a LOOOTTT more tolerance for conspiracy theorizing than I used to. I read Gerald Posner's "Case Closed" when I was 18 or 19, and after that I wouldn't listen to ANY conspiracy theory. I'd get prickly at the very words "grassy knoll". Then I realized, years later, that there are a lot of a unanswered questions about many historical events, and it's perfectly OK to ask them. Some "wild" theories have turned out to be totally correct, as the CIA admitted this week. For instance, the Mafia and CIA did collude to plot the assassination of Castro, just as theorists have been saying for decades. As Tweetey mentioned, a lot is missing from our history books.