Tuesday, January 20, 2009

World's Shortest Movie Review: "The Reader"

Summary: A middle-aged German lawyer (Ralph Fiennes) tries to come to terms with the fact that the nasty sexual predator he fell in love with at 15 (Kate Winslet) was also a psychotic bitchmonster from hell.
The Upside: Intelligent exploration of where our responsibility to each other ends and complicity in destruction begins.
The Downside: Really awkward sex scenes that I think might be borderline illegal. The actor portraying the Ralph Fiennes character as a boy looks nothing like Ralph Fiennes. Kate Winslet is unconvincing as an older woman; she's too young and fresh.

3 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I highly recommend the book. I really want to see this because I thought the book was well done.

Candy Minx said...

Wow, what a review. I think you did a great job and you highlighted it's risky possible ambiguous morality.

Cheers
Candy

S.M. Elliott said...

The more I reflect, the more I like the movie. At first I was put off that the poor man would be so masochistic as to continue his relationship with Hannah in any way, but now I see that he might have needed to continue it for his own well-being: He had been more or less victimized by this woman as a boy, but she became the powerless one in the end, and by helping her he was claiming his own manhood and his own responsibility in the affair (and, in a larger sense, Germany's love-hate relationship with its past).