Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Watching the Watchmen, reluctantly

I said I wouldn't, but I guess I almost have to see Watchmen, just to see if Alex Jones's weird-ass review of it makes any sense. I usually stay far away from movie adaptations of Alan Moore's work; they're always a let-down.

Update: I'm shocked! Watchmen was great - very faithful to the book, right down to Dan's goofy glasses! Rorschach was faithfully rendered (a cross between Travis Bickle and Alfred E. Neuman, only more insane); signage and posters were just like those in the book; the setting wasn't altered (I thought they might update it to avoid those '80s fashions); the music was era-appropriate (ranging from the late '60s to mid '80s); individual frames of the book were awesomely brought to life. And there was no effort made to soften the characters. These are, after all, superheroes who aren't really superheroes.

My only complaint is that the New Frontiersman editor was a little underplayed. This guy is supposed to be a ranting, raging, self-righteous, Commie-hating loon, full of hatred for anything that isn't in line with his beliefs. It's that kind of hatred which will make Ozymandias's "final solution" not so final, so toning it down in the film blunts the ending considerably.

Other than that, an excellent adaptation.

As for Alex Jones, well, he's just not terribly bright.

Update Update: A fellow Canadian blogger has a part in the film!

4 comments:

Candy Minx said...

I am curious about this movie. Trying to avoid reviews, but have seen some out of the corner of my eye. Look forward to hearing about the movie via you.

tweetey30 said...

Off the topic I have e-mailed you and mom. I am having problems wiht my avatar.. I have noticed when I leave messages its a big X in the corner of the box??? Any idea's. E-mail if you do.

tshsmom said...

Dad and Z liked it. I stayed home.

The Zombieslayer said...

I'll have to see it. That is, when it comes to redbox. Too cheap to see a movie live. Plus, you have to deal with OPK's (other people's kids) when you see a live movie.

They had that book in the library but I was too slow and now tons of people I'm sure have it on reserve. One of these days, I should read the book. After all, it's supposed to be the best graphic novel ever.