Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Booklist

From Tweetey. A few others have done this, and if you want to do it too, go right ahead! I love to see what other people are reading/have read. I even peek at people's book titles on the bus.

- Bold the books you've read.
- Italicize the ones you want to read.
- I've "cheated" by adding some notes, in blue.
- The ones I've never heard of are in red.

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) - My mother is prob'ly still mad at me for not standing in line for 5 hours to get Gabaldon's autograph. I've tried reading this series and just can't. Doesn't do it for me.
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees(Ann-Marie MacDonald) - NO WAY. I hate "life's a brutal bitch and then you die" lit, especially the stuff that makes Canadians look like incestuous, grumpy psychos.
18. The Stand (Stephen King) Believe it or not, this rocked. I'll be reading it again.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) I was Jane in a high-school play.
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien) - Better than the Lord of the Rings, IMO.
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) I like the Glass family stories a lot more.
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel) Martel stole the story from Moacyr's Max and the Cats. I have read Max and the Cats; it's good.
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) I read all the Chronicles. Eh.
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck) Excellent movie.
30. Tuesdays with Morrie(Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks) I liked the movie, but I'll pass on the book.
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) We listened to the audiobook driving across the prairies with the kids. Demi adored it.
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) This is sitting on my nightstand, but only because I suspect it has something to do with Lost.
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella) A friend loaned this to me, and I gotta admit it was hilarious.
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. The Bible Yes, the whole thing. Even the "begats".
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt) Nuh-uh. "Life's a brutal bitch and then you die" stuff.
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) A favorite.
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) Own a copy, haven't read it yet.
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens) I built a Miss Havisham house on The Sims the other day.
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger) Really want to read this one.
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) Planning to read the Chronicles this year.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis) Have a copy, haven't gotten to it.
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje) Saw the movie three times in the theatre, for reasons that now escape me.
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley) Love it!
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) Awesome, but depressing.
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) Gotta love Gothic.
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago) A friend loaned me the The Cave, which I'm working on slowly. I'll decide later if I want to read Blindness.
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer) Yeah, right. I calll Archer "The Git Who Won't Quit".
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth(Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) I was Sodapop's girlfriend in a high-school play.
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield) Audiobook. The part about the Mayans vibrating til they vanished was so freakin' stupid it slaughtered any redeeming value the book might have had.
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

8 comments:

tshsmom said...

At least Marilyn let me touch the autograph SHE stood in line for!
And NO, I haven't forgiven you yet! ;)

S.M. Elliott said...

I didn't think you had. ;D

tweetey30 said...

Alright girls. LOL.. No fighting please. I have had enough of that this week. LOL.... Only teasing.

Didnt we have to read the one about the Flies in school for the darned 12th grade teacher? I cant remember his name.

I thought I had a good list of books but I dont remember all the books I have read so I might have read more on that list than I highlighted. I also went through and made a list of my own and did 45 books that I have read. I did that for fun though. I was going to do a hundred but couldnt think of all the books plus authors that I have read.

La Cremiere said...

I just listed on Tweetey's website the ones I read... Maybe it's worth putting it on my blog, I read 21 books from the list. Another 15 are worth making notes why I did not read the book, and others just did not grap my interest. I could add a few good books worth reading on that list.

SME it looks like you should give Terry Pratchett a chance, he might be to your liking.

The Zombieslayer said...

You need to read Harry Potter 3 & 4. That's when Rowling's starting to get really good.

Atlas Shrugged, I wish I didn't read that. I'd like to have those two hours of my life back. My mother gets mad at me when I say this, but Ann Rand is the worst author I've ever read. She loves Ann Rand.

I used to tutor kids with learning disabilities. I think I've edited third grade papers with better writing abilities than Ann Rand.

tshsmom said...

ZS, that's how I felt about her. L loved her books and recommended them to me. Atlas Shrugged was MORE than enough for me. ;)

S.M. Elliott said...

Not a big Rand fan myself. For school I had to read one of her shorter novels, forget the title, and it was god-awful. After "The Fountainhead" I had no desire to read any more of her stuff, since it's all the same anyway.
The stuff I should have had to read in school, like "Lord of the Flies" or "Gatsby", wasn't on the curriculum in my classes. Every English teacher had his/her own agenda, so Tweets probably read different books than me (better ones, it sounds like).

I read a couple of Discworld novels and they were pretty good. I have HP 3&4 but haven't gotten to them yet... the movies rocked, so I'm sure I'll enjoy 'em.

The problem is, I am ADDICTED to nonfiction. So even tho I dig fiction when I do read it, I have to really force myself to pick up a novel.

greatwhitebear said...

see my comment on your mom's blog!