Friday, May 25, 2007

One more geek-out before summer...

Hmm. Well. I watched the season 3 finale of Lost last night, and I'm having a hard time believing that the "flash-forward" scenes were genuine glimpses into Jack's future. Why? Mostly because I've known for a long time that within the Lost universe (made up of official websites), Oceanic Airlines went bankrupt and shut down after the crash (in 2004). It then recovered to become HansoAir. So Jack probably wouldn't be flying Oceanic in 2007.
I think what we were seeing was Jack's nightmare vision of the future, his worst-case scenario: Ending up alone, an addict like his father, his career nearly ruined. As much as he wants to be rescued, he is developing a powerful attachment to the island and fears leaving it almost as strongly as Locke does.
We already know that not all "visions" experienced by the survivors reflect reality. Locke once imagined himself back in his wheelchair in an airport, watching his fellow survivors interact with one another. Kate and Sawyer seemed to be a couple, but Charlie was also in that vision.

If Jack's flash-forwards do reflect reality, then bloody hell, this is depressing. Seriously, who wants to see Jack lose the girl and end up a pill-popping bastard like Dr. House?

Now, who sent Naomi Dorrit? I don't know. Could be Penelope's dad, who is affiliated with DHARMA. It's somebody who knows Desmond well enough to realize that he would automatically trust a person with the last name "Dorrit".

All in all, another gripping finale. My only complaint, and it's minor, is that there were too many nick-of-time rescues.

5 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Glad you got to see it. I also thought the flash forwards of Jack's future were really depressing, and I hope it's only hypothetical. It was a real departure for the show to do this, so I'm really wondering about it. But who died? Who was in that coffin?

I was so sad to see Charlie go. I knew Desmond foretold it, but still, I liked the guy and thought he was a good character. But he did have a choice, and the whole issue of self-fulfilling prophesy came through very strongly for me. He could have saved himself, but because he trusted Desmond's visions so much, he allowed his own death to happen.

And what's up with Mikael? He took a spear to the heart and lives? WTF? That is the second time he's presumably died only to miraculously been resurrected.

We'll never know about Naomi now that she's dead, but I guess Ben was telling the truth about her. Hm.

Well, I have to finish season 2 now, which I'm looking forward to, but I'm now totally stoked for season 4!

tweetey30 said...

Wow.I havent gotten into them like this and never really thought about it like you guys do. I thought the first season was ok but we quit watching it when they started doing reruns constantly. I dont mind watching a show but I hate reruns right after the new season has started. Esp if you had just seen the episode they are running the week before. Well enjoy and I will catch you later.

S.M. Elliott said...

I was bummed to see Charlie go, too. It was his destiny, but still...such a likable guy. I didn't have the heart to tell Richard; he's on season 2, still grappling with what Michael did.

I have no idea why the island heals some people super-quickly (like Naomi and Locke and Bakunin) while others can languish and die. Maybe Bakunin is descended from Rasputin? ;D

Since I hate reruns too, I'm now taking a summer break from TV.

La Cremiere said...

They're not playing season 3 here yet, awaiting excitedly for September when it starts, however your summary of the last episode, does not give it a good advertisement... Who am I kidding thought, I've stopped following the story half way through season one and exclusively watched season 2 for Sawyer, like a voyeur hiding on the other side of my flat screen tv.

Scott said...

I'm afraid this show is just too far gone. The finale was interesting, but there's still too many open ends that'll never get answered and even if they do it probably won't be all that satisfactory.

I guess I'll still probably watch it though.