Tuesday, May 06, 2008

If I Had a Billion Dollars Meme

Tagged by the ever-delightful Bridget Jones.

1) Ten years ago I was: Going to community college, working at a library, hanging with friends, rehearsing for major roles in two plays, and just beginning to date the man who would become my ex-husband. Oh, wait, I'm 30, not 29. Lessee. That means I was going to school, working nights as a "cook" at McDonald's, hanging with friends, and dating the man who would become my ex-husband.

2) Five things on today's to do list:
- spring cleaning
- restart my human rights blog, this time with contributions from friends so it isn't all one-sided
- watch a documentary about the boys on the tracks
- continue research for Swallowing the Camel posts
- read some more of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

3) Things I'd do if I was a billionaire: Buy a house, adopt more critters and possibly even open a shelter, travel a lot, donate massive amounts to the local charities and organizations I like but can't currently support financially (Bissell Center, United Way, the SPCA, iHuman, Out of the Cold), become a patroness of the arts (film, plays, books, painting, sculpture by under-funded and little-known artists), collect Canadian art (particularly ManWoman and Ruby Golding), establish a scholarship fund for the mentally ill, buy annual season subscriptions to all my favourite local theatres, help family members out with tuition and anything else they need, buy organic all the time and locally-grown as much as possible. Other than that my lifestyle would not change appreciably.

4) Three bad habits: 1. fear-based procrastination 2. Coca-Cola (but I'm not giving it up - we all gotta have some bad habits!) 3. building little houses on the Sims while listening to wacky conspiracy lectures on Google Video; I only do this for an hour or two late at night, but I suspect my time could be better spent...

5) Five places I've lived: Minneapolis, two homes in a small northern Minnesota town, northern Ontario, three homes in Edmonton

6) Five jobs I've had in my life: Track and field statistician, McDonald's and Hardee's clerk and "cook" (food heater-upper and burger assembler, more like), library clerk, liquor-store clerk, flag shop clerk. Currently a housefrau and volunteer.

I think nearly everyone on my blogroll has done this one or has already been tagged, so I won't tag anybody this time 'round.

3 comments:

tweetey30 said...

I liked your response to being a billionaire...

The Zombieslayer said...

Oh geez. I just finished mine and realized I forgot 2 major ones that you said.

1) I'd buy everything organic (when possible)
2) Funding of the arts. The way I'd do it though would be to have coffee shops (that make just enough money to pay my employees a decent wage and cover expenses, screw Starbucks) that sell local art and have spoken word/poetry readings at least once a week.

S.M. Elliott said...

That's a good one. Coffeeshops can be great venues and I've seen some amazing art in them.