Monday, October 08, 2012

"What do you eat on Thanksgiving?"


Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian peeps!


Needless to say, there won't be any turkey or bacon 'round here. So, what do vegetarians eat on holidays?
Well, the ever-popular Tofurkey kit seems like an obvious choice, but we tried that a few Christmases ago and found it about as tough and tasty as charbroiled boot leather. Werner Herzog has nothing on us.

Luckily, we live close to Chinatown, where wacky Buddhist foodstuffs are plentiful. For the past five years, we've been enjoying seitan chicken that even (sorta) looks like chicken. Or like the Play-Doh version of chicken. Don't let the goofy appearance fool you, though - this stuff tastes like tender, white-meat chicken!


A year or two ago, my fave Chinese grocery stopped carrying seitan chicken. Since then, we've been eating a soy-based "chicken ham" product every holiday. Its pasty, tubular appearance wasn't too promising, but I was relieved to find it tastes almost exactly like the chicken-shaped stuff. As for why it's called "chicken ham" or "ham chicken", I still don't know. My brother once pointed out, "That's way too many animals for something that has no animals in it."

This is today's "chicken ham", nicely defrosted and waiting to be cooked for about 45 minutes. That's one lovely thing about being veg: Holiday dinners are not day-long ordeals involving arcane equipment, gigantic knives and rubber gloves.

"I'm not a ham, I'm a chicken ham!"




Side dishes will be old-school: My own traditional stovetop stuffing made with veggie broth, mashed taters, wild mushroom gravy, scalloped corn, and mixed greens.

2 comments:

nbrsspot.blogspot.com said...

its been a while. I miss you my friend. i miss your comments but it seems everyone has left blogland for facebook. i dont know. i am not to found of facebook. i only keep it for my fan page really. i have considered dropping it again. and making more new friends on here.

S.M. Elliott said...

I miss the blogworld a lot. Facebook is fine, but it's just not the same. I hope to do more blogging this winter (and I guess it's winter already - over a foot of snow on the ground!).